Duration: 2 sessions
Price: £220 (concession £176)
Puppet Making for Animation
During this weekend course, BAFTA winning animator Kevin Griffith will show you, stage by stage, how to create your own character puppets. With the wealth of knowledge he has gained from his long broadcast history, Kevin will be demonstrating techniques used by animation studios and smaller productions, as well as techniques that he has developed himself. All materials for this course are included in the price. We will also provide you with a useful list of suppliers and materials to aid you in your future puppet-making.
Puppet Making for Animation is a partner to our Stop Motion Animation course.
Upon completing this course, you will:
• Know how to set up iStop Motion on a computer, with an animation camera
• Know how to capture basic stop motion animation
• Understand how to create a character blue print
• Understand classic human and animal body ratios and stylist shortcuts
• Be able to construct an armature using aluminium wire
• Be able to sculpt using Plastazote and Styrofoam
• Be able to use a range of materials to create eyes, ears, hair, eyebrows etc
• Be able to apply latex skin
• Create a complete puppet designed from your own drawings
• Test puppet movements
Lesson 1 General introduction to professional 3D model animation puppets • Setting up camera and laptop for animation • Capturing • Armature making using aluminium wire • Constructions of body parts • Assembling body parts
Lesson 2 Sculpting the puppet into shape • Constructing the puppet's head • Methods for producing facial features • Application of latex skin • Basic puppet costumes
Students should have at least a basic understanding of animation techniques. No prior craft experience is required, although some experience is helpful. Students should be Mac or PC literate and fluent in English.
BAFTA-winning Kevin Griffiths has many years of experience working with stop frame animation. He has directed three series of 'The Old Bear', 'Bob the Builder' and 'El Nombre'. Kevin is an accomplished puppet maker and puppeteer and is an expert in building models using armatures and aluminium wire.
To enrol on this course either select from the Product Options below
or call us on 020 7607 8660